It’s Time to Hire a Coach
According to a recent Forbes article, 2022 is the year you should hire a coach. Do you think you’re ready for a professional coach? If so, you’ve come to the right place! I am here and ready to be a guide on your journey toward reaching your limitless potential. But we’re big on managing expectations around here. And I like to deliver on our promises; therefore, I want to make sure you and I are on the same page. Before we even take our first few steps together, I have one question. Is an executive coach what you need?
I ask that question because many people can offer you different kinds of help. It’s important to me that my clients understand the specific type of help I provide as a coach, which is different from, say, a therapist, a mentor, or a consultant. Let’s break these down a little further, starting with me.
As your coach, my job is to empower you so that you can live your best life. First, I help you find clarity in the vision you see for your future. Next, I watch out for any obstacles that might hold you back (and guide you in overcoming them). Then I teach you how to accelerate the pace of your personal growth. I’m not here to do the hard work for you. Instead, I’m here to illuminate your path so that the way becomes clear. You will see your true path open up before you as our work together continues. And you will know what steps to take to climb even higher.
Coaching Is Not…
As an executive coach, some things are not my job – that may be better served by another professional. Allow me to explain.
If your goal is to:
- Process Your Past – If you are in a place right now where you spend more time looking backward than forwards, believe me, I understand. I’ve been there – we have all been there. Perhaps you’ve suffered a loss. Or you experienced a personal or professional upheaval in your life that is holding you back. Take some of your precious time and energy to process it, to work through it. To do that, you may be better off with a therapist or a counselor who is skilled in assisting people who need to resolve issues from their past.
- Move Up in Your Field – Are you trying to climb a ladder in a specific industry or a niche market? I’ll join you in analyzing the opportunities you have in front of you. I can help you envision fantastic, new possibilities for yourself. But I haven’t traveled your path and it’s not my footsteps you’re following. So, if you’re seeking someone who knows the ins and outs of your field of expertise to show you the ropes, you’re not looking for a coach. You need a mentor. (And that’s okay too – they’re wonderful!)
- Hire Someone for a Task – The other professional I’m sometimes confused with is a consultant. Consultants take responsibility for a specific project with identified deliverables. There are professional consultants in virtually every industry. Typically, they are very experienced in their field with strong reputations and portfolios. Consultants are hired on a contract basis – sometimes to fill a gap when there is a staffing shortage. Consultants take on a short-term grant-funded project or manage a one-time event or campaign – you get the idea. If what you need is someone who can take complete control of a particular activity, hire a consultant, not a coach.
I’m all in!
Now that you know what I do – and don’t do – as a coach, let’s review.
Contact me if you’re looking toward the future. If you’re looking backward, consider reaching out to a therapist. When you’re trying to discover the road you’re meant to follow, call me. Find a mentor if your goal is to walk along a well-trodden path in your industry. Hire a consultant if you want someone to complete a task for you. Are you ready to take responsibility for your own work, your own victories, and your own glory? Call me. I’m all in!
If you thought professional coaching was only for the C-Suite, you’re way behind the curve. To thrive in our brave new world of work, explore the coaching options that are available to you at any stage of your career—and start reaping the rewards of training like a true pro. – William Arruda
Are you in?
- Yes, Let’s do this thing! If you’re ready, I’d love to learn more about you, your goals, and your dreams. Schedule a Consultation to find out if I’m the right coach for you.
- I’m Still not sure. There’s an easy way to find out if coaching is right for you right now. Take Ascentim’s Coaching Readiness Assessment.