How to Move From Scarcity to Abundance
Most people live with a scarcity mindset. In certain parts of the world, people have a good reason to feel this way. There is a shortage of food, clean water, and housing in much of the world. But our scarcity thinking is heavily influenced by advertisers and the media. They encourage us to consume and achieve more.
Even when we have enough, advertisements tell us we need a better car, better clothes, or a higher income to be successful and impress the neighbors. It’s no wonder we feel like there isn’t enough for everyone. But that’s simply not true.
Moreover, if you focus on what you already have, you’ll realize you possess enough to have a grateful and positive mindset. When you see that you have enough, you won’t be worried about losing it. You have plenty.
“When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you.” – Lao Tzu
Move your mindset from scarcity to abundance with these 5 steps:
- Those with a scarcity mindset have a very short-term perspective. If you regularly find yourself only concerned with entertaining yourself as much as possible each moment, you might have a scarcity mindset. The utilization of resources right now prevents them from being taken away later.
- Overeating and overspending can be symptoms of a scarcity mindset. “Better eat it or spend it now before it’s gone” is a scarcity viewpoint.
- Avoid people that complain a lot. Complainers have a scarcity mindset. You’re more susceptible to the mentality of others than you think. Find positive people to include in your social circle. There are so many people in the world. Why spend time with those who make your life harder?
- Focus on what you can have in the future. Instead of worrying about what you might lose, spend some time focusing on what you can gain in the future. And look forward to the future rather than fear it.
- Visualize an exciting future. Develop positive feelings about the future. Isn’t that the foundation of an abundance mindset?
- Keep a journal. Keep it positive. First, list the things in your life that make you feel grateful. Then be sure to include all the key people in your life. You probably have a home, a job, a car, family, friends, etc. That’s a great start to a fulfilled life.
- Be generous. Convince yourself that there is enough for everyone by sharing what you have. Because the more you’re willing to share, the more others are willing to share with you. That includes sharing your time, which is your most valuable resource.
Believe in Abundance
One of the primary steps to having more is believing there is enough for everyone. When you have a scarcity mindset, you become defensive and protective. You also create the false belief that everything will be more challenging than it is. When you imagine something is difficult, you’re more likely to procrastinate or discourage yourself altogether.
An abundance mindset won’t magically place a luxury vehicle in your garage or add a few zeros to your bank account. However, an abundance mindset will allow you to enthusiastically take the necessary steps to make these types of changes in your life. At Ascentim, we’re committed to helping our clients live meaningful and abundant lives. We’d be delighted to help you too.