3 Simple Steps to Find a Career That Brings You Happiness
Your Dream Career
Are you still trying to figure out what you want to do when you “grow up”? Do you already know exactly what position you want, but you’re just not sure how to get there? We spend such a large portion of our time at work so it’s only natural for career concerns to be top of mind.
Even when you know just what you want to do with your life, it can seem daunting to make the transition. But getting from where you are to where you want to be doesn’t have to be scary. All you need is a little help to chart a course for your dream career. The best time to start? That’s right now!
Get started in 3 simple steps:
1. Identify potential careers. By now, you’ve probably noticed many roles and career paths that interest you. It’s completely normal for different career paths to pique your interest at various times as your life unfolds. Take a moment now to write out a list of careers that currently have your attention.
- Putting words on paper cements your interest from the get-go.
- It’s imperative to include every career you have under consideration, regardless of how other people feel about them.
- Write down what gets you excited – the kind of work you truly desire.
- Use your strengths and values to refine your list. How well does each career on the list align with what you are best at and what you believe? You will thrive better in a role that leverages your strengths. Your values are the ultimate test: a value-based career choice leads to finding meaning in your work. It is meaningful work that ultimately brings satisfaction.
“Successful careers are not planned. They develop when people are prepared for opportunities because they know their strengths, their method of work and their values.” – Peter Drucker
2. Determine the drivers for your interest. After refining the list, it’s time to shortlist! This is when you dig deep and determine the ‘why’ of your interest in each contender. Be honest with yourself and identify the real reasons you’re interested.
- Is it because you would join a long list of family members who entered a specific industry? Leaving family traditions aside, be sure to base any decisions on what you want to do.
- What about financial motivation? Do you see yourself in a specific career because of how much it pays? While it’s important to be able to pay your bills, that shouldn’t be the only thing you like about the gig. Think long and hard about that being your primary motivation.
- At the end of the day, it’s best to zero in on a career choice that makes you happy. The last thing you want is to be in a job that makes you miserable every day. The biggest paycheck won’t make you happy.
3. Find paths to reach your career goals. There’s more than one road to get there. Now is the time to get creative and do some strategic planning. How do you plan on getting ahold of that dream career?
- The internet is a valuable research tool. Go online to seek out all the options for embarking on your career of choice.
- Leverage your network. Networking is essential to growth at every career stage. Discuss your career plan with family, friends, mentors, and trusted colleagues who may be able to point you in the right direction. Join professional associations or networks that are targeted to your ideal career path.
- There is always the traditional method of pursuing tertiary education. Look into courses and degree programs that can give you the necessary training. Having the know-how to go along with your innate interest is a great combination.
Align Your Strengths and Values
You are at an important crossroads in your life. Making a career decision that aligns with your strengths and values is critical to your happiness. Take the time to focus on each part of the equation, and you’ll find yourself moving forward, one step at a time.
Find something that brings you joy and makes you proud. Become the success story and the kind of example others can follow and look up to. For customized #careeradvice tailored to your unique goals, schedule a complimentary consultation with an Ascentim #careercoach today. You owe it to yourself to succeed!
Lisa L. Baker is a professional life coach, career strategist, and keynote speaker. Lisa is the founder of Ascentim – a Maryland-based coaching practice that utilizes a unique G.R.O.W. process to help clients gain clarity, realize new possibilities, overcome obstacles, and win at life. She shows high-performing professionals how to Level Up – get connected, get promoted, get wealth – and Live the Life of Their Dreams.